Centennial House + The Arlington Hotel

The Centennial House was built by Horace Wilder in 1876 and was renamed the Arlington Hotel in 1902. Wilder’s name is on the clock at the former Congregational Church at 42 Maple Street. Other Centennial House and Arlington Hotel proprietors were Fred Abbe and William Chesley. In 1947, it was bought by Mr. and Mrs. Gross from Washington, D.C., who offered a strictly kosher kitchen. In kosher kitchens, meat and dairy products are handled separately. The hotel also had a mikvah, the ceremonial bath used by Jewish women. 

 

In 1971, it was purchased by Jolan Strulovic, who ran it as a summer hotel for members of the Hassidic religion, offering a kosher kitchen. In 1895, the coaching parade had a two-mile route from the Maplewood Hotel Complex to the Arlington. That year, the Arlington coach was drawn by six milk-white steeds and decorated in violet and white, the Arlington’s colors. For years, it was the only hotel in the White Mountains that offered a kosher kitchen.

Click on images to expand view

Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire<br />
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Bethlehem Historical Society in Bethlehem, New Hampshire

Formed in 1997, the Society is located in the completely restored Ranlet Cafe that was moved to this location in 1895. With over 260 members, it is an ever-changing display of Bethlehem history.

ADDRESS

2182 Main Street
PO Box 148
Bethlehem, NH 03574

TELEPHONE

603-869-3330